Recruit Our Students: Recruiting International Students

The NC State Jenkins MBA program has recently been designated a STEM eligible degree.

What that means for you is an opportunity for the student to work in the United States for 36 months with the STEM extension. Employers are not required to provide sponsorship to graduates who are approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which could be approved for 36 months post graduation.

With technology now playing such a vital role in business, many companies realize the value of hiring  MBAs who have both the technical and business training and experience.  Students who come from a STEM background have training in technical and business skills, including strategic thinking, communication skills, leadership, teamwork, and data analytics.

In addition to knowledge, skills, and years of professional experience, our international students provide employers with a global perspective that is beneficial to solving complex business problems. At the Poole College of Management Career Center, we’re here to help you with any questions you may have in terms of recruiting our international MBA students. On this page, you will find general information about hiring international students for summer internships and full-time employment. For additional questions, review the FAQs below or contact the Poole College of Management Career Center team


Hiring International MBAs

Summer Internship

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status can work in the U.S. as summer interns without sponsorship. This process is at no cost to the employer, and little paperwork is involved. Please follow these steps:

  • Send an offer letter on company letterhead to the NC State MBA student. It should state employment dates, hours, location, and job specifications.
  • Submit the student’s work application with the letter of employment.

Full-time Employment

Traditionally, most international students in F-1 or J-1 status can accept short-term employment for up to 12 months. The NC State Jenkins MBA program recently was designated a STEM eligible degree. This means that F-1 international students who recently graduated from the program may be eligible to apply for the 24 month STEM extension. Jenkins MBA F-1 international student graduates who are granted the standard 12 months of post completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), may be eligible to apply for the 24 month STEM extension, resulting in a total of up to 36-months post-completion OPT. Please visit the OIS website for more information on the 24 month STEM Extension During this 36 month period, there are no costs to the employer.

International students may qualify for an H-1B visa, which allows them to work in the U.S. for up to six years.

  • The employer must submit the visa petition and pay filing fees.
  • Processing times for H-1B visas vary. “Premium Processing” is an option if the position and employee qualify. For timely processing, we strongly recommend this option.
  • Most employers work with a lawyer to help with H-1B visa or permanent residency petitions.

Employers are strongly encouraged to visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration website ( for the most recent information and regulations.


  • What does F-1 status mean?

    • An F-1 visa is a student visa, in which an international student can complete a summer internship. When an international student’s F-1 Visa expires at graduation, he or she is eligible for Optional Practical Training. Students hired for Practical Training are not required to change their immigration status for at least12 months following graduation.
  • Is it more costly to hire an international student?

      International students may work a summer internship and for the 12 or 36 months following graduation without sponsorship at no additional cost to the employer. Over this period, international employees can help employers streamline the process of applying for an H-1B visa. On average, the cost of an H-1B visa is less than the average MBA signing bonus.
  • Does a student need to have work authorization when I hire them?

      No, a student does not need to have work authorization upon accepting an offer. However, they must have work authorization upon starting a job. Students apply for work authorization in coordination with NCSU-OIS.
  • How long does it take for a student to receive work authorization?

      It typically takes three months to receive work authorization after initializing paperwork. Students start the process on their own in late February or early March before graduation. There are no costs and little paperwork involved for the employer in this process.
  • Can I employ international students after their student work authorization expires?

      You can continue to employ international students by applying for and receiving H-1B status with USCIS. Students can also continue to work under the T.N. and E-3 categories, which do not require USCIS approval.
  • When should I apply for a student’s H1B Visa?

      H-1B status is offered once a year in April. Employers must work with students to submit paperwork by this date. Further information can be found on the USCIS website.


Recent Posts

Contact & Location

(919) 515-5174

2801 Founders Drive
Raleigh, NC 27695

Career Center Service Hours

Click on each Career Coach’s link to view their service hours


Annie Murray Schedule an Appointment

Kira Dalton Schedule an Appointment


John Hutchings Schedule an Appointment

Ed Kato Schedule an Appointment

Lisa Batt Schedule an Appointment

News  |  Events  |  Resources  |   Videos  |   Jobs