Graduate Business Analytics Preparation
The Poole College of Management offers three distinct analytics-focused programs for graduate students:
The Business Analytics Certificate provides students with advanced skills and techniques to address both specific and industry-wide business problems. The certificate is a standalone option for Jenkins MBA students, and also serves as the core foundation of courses for the two Master of Management programs, on which additional courses in marketing and risk management are added, respectively.
Data-Driven Managerial Decisions
Predictive Analytics for Business and Big Data
Communications, Privacy and Ethics in Big Data
Business Analytics Practicum*
*Practicum experiences are a key part of our academic programs, providing discipline-specific or interdisciplinary capstone experiences that enable our students to apply their classroom learning and other career development activities to helping companies solve real world challenges. Students will have successfully completed business analytics courses prior to beginning the practicum.
Skills Acquired Through Coursework
- transforming large-scale data, in all its forms, from raw data into the ability to recommend and make business decisions
- using data-driven and ethical decision-making to make the world a better place
- developing innovative problem-solvers prepared to solve data-driven challenges
- leveraging meaningful data insights that can increase ROI and drive growth
- identifying emerging risks
- acquiring expected core competencies in risk management and analytical decision-making
Additional Skills and Competencies Needed for Success in an Analytics Career:
- Strong communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Creativity, strong work ethic, and high level of confidence
- Organized and good at multitasking
- Confidence with data analysis and using analytics to make business decisions
- Self-motivated with an ability to work well independently and in teams
Potential Career Paths
High-Level Positions in the following areas:
Data Analytics & Digital Transformation
Strategic Finance & Business Analytics
Business Analytics Manager
Senior Data Manager
Additional Skills and Competencies Needed for Success in an Analytics Career
We welcome recent undergraduates with both business and non-business degrees to apply – with applicants from quantitative backgrounds being particularly well-suited. Experienced graduates pursuing a career change or career development can be a great fit as well.
Common MBA/Graduate-level Analytics Job Titles
Insight Data Analyst
Digital, Data, and Analytics Lead
Business Intelligence Analyst
Strategic Finance Analyst
Market Research Analyst
Risk Advisory Consultant
Analytics Professions - Culture/Outlook
Business Analytics. Business Analytics has the potential to transform the modern organization — making the organization more efficient, robust and successful than ever before. To make this transformation, we need to take advantage of the volume, velocity and variety of modern data.
Marketing Analytics. Marketing analytics jobs are predicted to grow by 23% nationally by 2026 according to a 2016 Bureau of Labor Statistics study. As one of the points of the Research Triangle, we know exactly what companies like Cisco, Red Hat, and Lenovo are looking for in hiring.
Risk and Analytics. The Bureau of Labor Statistics highlights the increasing demand for risk managers, noting that more and more companies are enhancing their risk management practices to limit threats and promote organizational resilience. According to the RIMS 2021 Compensation Survey, risk professionals across the United States – of all levels and responsibilities – saw an average 14.4% increase in base salary in 2021 compared to 2019.