Caren has had a diverse career with experience spanning the corporate, nonprofit and higher education sectors. She began her career in investment banking with Credit Suisse, advising large and mid-cap industrial companies on capital raising and strategic growth opportunities before moving into a leadership position as director of the worldwide financial analyst program. In 2003, Caren made a career shift into nonprofit leadership, where she remained for a decade before entering higher education. As a former Associate Director of UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School’s MBA Career Management Center, Caren provided career guidance and individual coaching to MBA students seeking commercial real estate, investment banking, and finance-related positions. She also spent two years leading employer engagement and alumni relations for UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Wood Center for Real Estate Studies, where she had the opportunity to share career insights with both MBA and undergraduate students and lead diversity initiatives for the real estate program. As an Associate Director with NC State’s Jenkins MBA program, Caren provides career coaching support to the full-time MBA population, and manages the Peer Coach program.
Caren earned an undergraduate degree from Amherst College and an MBA and Masters in Education from Stanford University. She serves on the board of the Stanford Alumni Association of the Triangle, and resides with her family in Apex.
Specialities and InterestsSecond-Year Career Coach
Jane Mehringer’s corporate experience includes starting the global campus recruiting programs at Credit Suisse and MetLife, focusing on finance, accounting and IT college talent.
In higher education, Jane served as the associate director of the Business School at Elon University and advised over 2000 undergraduate and graduate students. Jane discovered her passion for working with students when she ran the intern program at Saturday Night Live, where she started her career as Lorne Michaels’ Assistant.
Specialities and InterestsFirst-Year Career Coach
Hometown: Lake Mary, FL / Columbia, SC
- Master of Education, College Counseling and Student Development at NCSU (Anticipated May 2021)
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics at Wofford College (May 2014)
- Career Counselor, Department of Computer Science, NCSU (6 months)
- Veteran Services Media Engagement, NCSU (6 months)
- All-Source Military Intelligence Officer, US Army Reserves (3 months)
- Account Manager/Data Analyst, MYCA Material Handling (1 year)
- Air Defense Artillery Officer, Space Operations, US Army (4.5 years)
- Provide mock interviewing sessions and student coaching support
- Facilitate students in assessing career needs
- Hiking, Climbing, Soccer, Standup Comedy, Running, and South Carolina Football
“I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it.” —Lou Holtz