Full Job Description
This position is assigned to the Department of Budget and Finance and is responsible for the maintenance and monitoring of the assigned financial management systems, and for conducting and supervising the research, analysis, development and summarization of financial information for audit, budgeting and reporting purposes.
- Assist with the implementation of the Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Financials Cloud suite, in partnership with the City of Virginia Beach, which includes attending meetings/training sessions, testing/troubleshooting budget and finance related activities within the system and developing/conducting internal training programs and materials.
- Maintain and monitor integrated financial management systems and Cloud-based platforms.
- Monitor revenues and expenditures monthly.
- Assist internal and external departments/offices with management of day-to-day budget and financial matters, and problem solving/resolution.
- Monitor and/or review and reconcile account coding of employees between the Office of Payroll Services and the Department of Human Resources, to ensure proper accounting of salaries and fringe benefits.
- Monitor non-personnel expenditures monthly and forecast the budgetary and financial impact of volatile line item expenses (e.g. fuel, utilities, gas, water, etc.)
- Assist in the preparation and completion of monthly interim financial statements and/or budget summary reports. (i.e. Superintendent’s Annual School Report, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), Superintendent’s Estimate of Needs, the School Board Proposed and Approved budget documents, etc.)
- Develop, analyze and update complex reports; adjust budget and finance records as needed.
- Monitor budget and finance activities related to the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and overall financial management.
- Serve as a technical liaison to work with the City of Virginia Beach, internal department contacts and outside vendors regarding integrated financial management systems.
- Perform related work as required.
Business Services Functions
- Perform system maintenance and financial management by setting up new account segments and account code combinations, testing and implementing system upgrades, providing training and coordinating with City of Virginia Beach staff.
- Assist with interfaces for the division payroll system, 1099 reporting system, and the BuySpeed AP module system (enhancements/upgrades/testing/issues) as they relate to and affect the Oracle Cloud financial management system; attend related meetings, etc.
- Assist internal and external auditors with analysis work related to the integrated financial management system.
- Import, correct, and post payroll twice a month into the financial management system.
- Serve as Deputy Fiscal Agent for the School Board in absence of Fiscal Agent and Deputy Fiscal Agent (Coordinators of Accounting).
Budget Development Functions
- Perform system maintenance and budget management by exporting and importing data to set up web-based functionality for end users, adding/editing chart of account segments, troubleshooting problems with system functionality, creating/updating reports, acting as a liaison with vendors and coordinating activities with the Department of Technology staff.
- Write and/or run programs and reports in response to budget-related information requests from internal and external sources and in support of the School Board Planning and Performance Monitoring Committee.
- Assist with the setup and maintenance of a collaborative, cloud-based program designed to automate the production and publishing of budget documents.
- Design, build, implement and maintain role-based dashboards using real-time data across multiple functions and systems to improve decision making and performance management.
- Serve as a budget development team leader for process improvement and system implementation and upgrade projects.
- Assist with review/updates of School Board Policies and Regulations related to Business and Non-Instructional Operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Business Services: Must have a comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of accounting and auditing, and local, state and federal school funding programs. Must have a knowledge of and the ability to apply appropriate commercial law in the review of contractual agreements.
Budget Development: Must have a comprehensive knowledge of the principles and general laws governing school financial practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of school budgeting procedures; and general knowledge of school administration operations. Must have the skills necessary to review, interpret, and relay information and data provided by departments, consultants and outside agencies (to include federal, state and local governments) with tact and diplomacy. Must be detail-oriented and have the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate and respond to questions regarding budgets, grants, financial systems, and accounting, from various departments and agencies, including the Virginia Department of Education. Must possess excellent organizational skills and strong conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills. Must have the ability to comprehend and apply microcomputer languages and software solutions/packages to complex tasks and implement, test and maintain financial systems. Must have the ability to analyze highly complex data and problems to form effective recommendations; provide guidance to staff and others as appropriate in the areas of budget and finance to include appropriate policies, regulations, and procedure/guidelines; forecast resource requirements and project expenditures; and the ability to correlate identified budgetary and financial issues and trends with the strategic goals. Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and judgment; prepare and present detailed financial and technical reports and documents effectively in oral and written format; work independently and as part of a team; work in a timely and efficient manner to meet deadlines; and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the School Board, senior staff, school administrators, city officials, and budget managers and staff. Must have the ability to provide guidance to staff, departments, and schools in budget and finance guidelines, policies, and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (Business Services) or Business Administration (Budget Development). Must have two years of progressive experience in governmental accounting (Business Services) or public sector budget and finance (Budget Development).
Preferred: Master’s Degree in public administration (MPA) or business administration (MBA). Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification preferred (Business Services). Four years of progressive experience in governmental accounting (Business Services) or public sector budget and finance (Budget Development).
HOW TO APPLY
Please see “Job Posting Link” below for a complete job description.
External Applicants: If you are interested in applying for this position, you must create an account. Please select “Login and Apply” from the bottom of this posting. After creating an account, please login, complete the online application, and apply for this job.
Eligible Internal Applicants: Follow these instructions to complete a transfer application. After creating an account, please complete the application and apply for this job.
Reports To Chief Financial Officer
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Salary Range: From/To
Additional Job Information
All applicants, both internal and external, must attach a current detailed resume to your electronic application.
A minimum of three references are required in the reference section of your application. One of the three must be a current or most recent former supervisor.
Virginia Beach City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, disability, marital status, age, genetic information or veteran status in its programs and activities. (Reference: School Board Policies 2-33, 4-4, 4-6)
To seek resolution of grievances resulting from alleged discrimination or to report violations of these policies, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer at (757) 263-1133, 2512 George Mason Drive, Municipal Center, Building 6, Virginia Beach, VA, 23456.
Alternative formats of this application which may include taped, Braille, or large print materials are available upon request for individuals with disabilities. Call or write the Department of Human Resources, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, 2512 George Mason Drive, P.O. Box 6038, Virginia Beach, VA 23456-0038. Telephone: (757) 263-1133 (voice); (757) 263-1240 (TDD) or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.