Position Summary/Career Interest:
The Senior Director of Laboratory services will provide leadership, financial, operational oversight, and strategic direction for all the laboratory services being offered by University of Kansas Health System. This person will align the laboratory initiatives throughout the system to better improve quality and cost effectiveness This includes Clinical Pathology, Anatomic Pathology, Blood Bank, Molecular Pathology, Phlebotomy, and LIS.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Essential Functions: Demonstrates competence as a “system” thinker that provides leadership to all areas where the laboratory has a place in the care delivery process
- Responsible for developing laboratory strategic plans.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action as it relates to laboratory service line.
- Provide recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities relative to laboratory service line.
- Provide recommendations to integrate and enhance services that fit into system goals/strategies
- Ensure credibility by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts.
- Oversee all aspects of finance and accounting functions of laboratory service line.
- Provide executive management with advice on the financial implications of current business activities, projections from service changes, payer reimbursement changes relative to the laboratory service line.
- Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Health System-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- The director coordinates with the Clinical Managers to facilitate and evaluate current programs and implement and develop new programs to ensure productivity while providing world class quality of care.
- Strong skills in process improvement, coaching leadership and prioritization.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior executives to identify needs and seek full range of business, strategic and operational solutions.
- Ensures appropriate people are in key positions, sets expectations and develops systems of accountability that align with The University of Kansas Health System’s strategic plans and operational initiatives, ensuring stability, growth and the financial success of the service line.
- Ensures efficient services that are designed to meet the needs of patients, physicians, trainees, the public and staff.
- Responsible for marketing and coordination of services/care in the development and implementation of the Laboratory Service Line.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules.
- Works in partnership with the Hospital Medical Director for Laboratory to develop and execute procedures and policies that ensure quality, effectiveness, and efficiency in the provision of services to patients.
- The Senior Director of Laboratory will have an undergraduate degree in Laboratory Science, Healthcare, Business or related field and a MBA or Master’s in Healthcare or related field, and 5 years leadership experience in laboratory.
- Experience in healthcare administration in a large and complex setting with a proven track record in organizational and collaboration management, at a level necessary to cultivate and steward resources on behalf of the Department.
- Must be able to manage as well as influence across internal and external partner organizations, effectively aligning efforts to advance the mission of the Health System.
- This position calls for an entrepreneurial and dynamic individual with a commitment to the overall development of the Health System and ability to identify and cultivate new revenue streams.
- Demonstrate a clear ability to understand, connect with and represent stakeholder (patient, staff, physician, etc.) issues and needs.
- Bachelors in Laboratory Services, Healthcare, Business or related field
- MBA or Masters in Healthcare or related field
- Minimum 5 years leadership experience in laboratory services