Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world’s largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The Brand Manager is accountable for the development and implementation of marketing strategies and brand plans, including product quality, close-in and breakthrough innovation, and brand activation. Responsibilities include “Product” (quality, innovation, packaging), “Place” (channel strategies and distribution), “Price” (pricing strategy and implementation), and “Promotion” (advertising, consumer promotion, media strategy and implementation planning, PR). Responsible for category strategy, pricing strategy and analysis, and ongoing business analysis to drive the performance of the brand. Works closely with Insight, Category Management, Sales, Business Development, Operations, Legal, and external partners (advertising agencies, etc.) to develop and implement marketing and innovation plans.
Develops and executes marketing plans, encompassing a wide range of promotional and public relations tactics on both national and account specific levels.
Analyzes market trends and recommend changes to marketing and product strategies based on analysis and feedback
Utilizes syndicated and other data sources to develop expertise on the category, consumer, customers and competitive set.
Leads a wide variety of functional areas to develop and manage marketing objectives, strategies and tactics
Responsible for brand budget
Ensures Legal approval of all documents, contracts and materials that touch external stakeholders
Develops market and competitive analysis leveraging syndicated and propriety data
Responsible for creating customized sales presentations, executing customer marketing plans, and tracking product performance at retail
Advertising and Promotion Management
- Responsible for creating customized sales presentations, executing customer marketing plans, and tracking product performance at retail.
- Manages agency relationships and leads the preparation for internal and external brand presentations
- Develops an integrated brand image and message throughout all advertising, packaging and promotional efforts
- Utilizes consumer insights to help drive brand strategy, communication, and programming
- Ensures the most motivating messaging reaches target consumers
- Collaborates with sales to develop strategic partnership activities with key retail partners
Participates in the product development process, identifying consumer insight, creating product proposition, assessing market potential
Partners with other functional areas to quickly bring viable new products to market
Identifies opportunities for growth and cost improvement
Commercializes line extensions that can be launched within 12 months
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from a regionally accredited college or university in Marketing or closely related field and 5+ years of related experience and/or training; required.
- MBA in Marketing, or related field, and 2 or more years of consumer marketing experience with a CPG company in food, preferred.
- Experience managing a budget for a brand and working in a cross-function environment.
- Experience working with syndicated data.
- Experience commercializing new products and line extensions.
- Experience in consumer goods industry in the areas of Marketing, Advertising, Sales Promotion, and Sales preferred.
- Understanding of brand management disciplines, key marketing strategies, media and selling dynamics.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to prioritize projects and produce high quality and quantity outputs that adds value to the company, required.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, required.
- Up to 15% travel may be required for this position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Power point and Excel, required.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to Associate Brand Managers.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits:
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits