Full Job Description
The Junior Financial Analyst will provide support in all areas of real estate analysis, reporting, transaction management, lease administration and where applicable, real estate project management. A primary responsibility will be assisting with preparing financial analyses and presentations with critical information that helps the Global Real Estate (“GRE”) team and the firm’s senior management make real estate and financial decisions directly impacting the firm. In addition, the Junior Financial Analyst will provide administrative support in all areas related to real estate transaction management, lease administration, budgeting, Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) administration, and financial controls & procedures for all real estate activities.
The Junior Financial Analyst will require knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Excel, PowerPoint, Word) to assist with developing executive-level analyses and presentations in a format consistent with the firm’s standards of reporting. The position will help GRE in developing best alternatives among a number of real estate scenarios, help in controlling costs in real estate and construction projects, oversee the leases for all global offices via the firm’s IWMS, uncover potential real estate opportunities or risks in the firm’s real estate portfolio and where applicable, assist the GRE team in managing different firm-wide construction projects. In addition, the Junior Financial Analyst will prepare and track costs for real estate-related capital projects, coordinate the annual capital budget process for all firm-wide offices and where applicable, have the opportunity to help with space planning and design for various office build-outs and renovations.
The Junior Financial Analyst will work with all the members of the GRE team in different capacities, depending upon the project, but report directly to the Manager of Global Real Estate.
- Assist with the development and/or review all cash and earnings analyses to evaluate the financial impact of various real estate scenarios;
- Assist in the preparation of the quarterly Global Real Estate Update presentation for the Executive Director;
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual Global Real Estate book which includes gathering information from various internal and external sources;
- Researching lease issues including rents, occupancy costs, tenant allowances, expiration dates and transfer rights, among others;
- Assist with the firm’s occupancy expense budgets and help monitor and provide variance explanations for the costs throughout the year;
- Prepare draft ad hoc analyses, financial templates and presentations;
- Aid in researching current and future space trends and workplace strategies impacting law firms and other professional service firms
- Where applicable, support other members of the GRE team in managing active and prospective construction projects, designing office sizes and layouts, selecting and hiring professionals and contractors, preparing project schedules, and developing project costs;
- Assist in monitoring and analyzing capital projects globally to ensure that projects are properly documented and are kept within scope;
- Help in expediting all Requests for Capital Projects (RCP) approvals for all budgeted and unbudgeted office capital projects;
- Assist with the Prepare Project Cost Reports (PCR) to provide the ability to accurately track capital project expenses;
- Assist with the development of real estate policies & procedures and capital expenditures;
- Communicate with local office personnel to obtain headcount projections, budgeted headcounts, and updates on real estate issues specific to each office or market;
- Assist with the Prepare Requests for Proposals (RFP) for potential capital project vendors;
- Assist with the coordination of the annual Capital Budget process for all firm-wide offices.
- Help with the oversight and administration of the firm’s Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS)
- Provide support in all lease transactions (e.g., new, renewals, rent reviews, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Ability to prepare financial models, detailed budgets, and financial presentations;
- Ability to comprehend complex business issues and practices
- Ability to employ excellent time management practices
- Demonstrates ingenuity, creativity and able to think and solve problems in different ways
- Possesses financial modeling skills
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills;
- Expertise in Excel functions, such as V/H lookup formulas, pivot tables, linking, if/or statements, consolidation function, arrays, etc.
- Effective communication skills in both the verbal and written medium, with management, office personnel and vendors;
- Sound analytical and research skills;
- Capable of multitasking across multiple assignments and projects.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field required
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Master’s degree or MBA a plus
- 0-3 years of experience in a real estate, finance, or other business-related function
- Prior real estate project management, architectural (e.g., CAD) and/or space planning experience a plus but not required
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Ability to work outside business hours when needed