The Property Tax Consultant (“Consultant”) works with a team to identify tax savings opportunities for clients and to gain an understanding of how the client computes each component of property tax. This includes researching issues, reconciling databases, and completing detailed calculations. The taxing authority verifies the issues, and the Consultant assists the team with this process. The Consultant is responsible for creating positive team member experiences, which lead to excellent client service and drive revenue and profit for the Firm.
The ideal candidate with have analytical and problem-solving skills, coupled with strong people skills. The successful candidate will be effective in researching issues, reconciling databases, and completing detailed calculations. Successful Ryan team members embrace and live Ryan’s values of Pursue Excellence, Wired to Win, Generosity Matters, Build Trust and Integrity Always and will embody and demonstrate accountability.
Duties and responsibilities, as they align to Ryan’s Key Results
- Create a positive team member experience.
- Responds to client inquiries and requests from tax authorities.
- Works effectively with clients and taxing authorities on a national basis.
- Attends client meetings and property inspections.
- Reviews client property tax records.
- Applies software knowledge to efficiently work with client data.
- Researches tax issues.
- Prepares and reviews property reports and renditions.
- Analyzes assessment notices and determines potential assessment reductions.
- Files appeals.
- Determines liability for development projects.
- Works with tax incentive issues for clients.
- Interacts frequently with members of a team.
- Communicates effectively through written and verbal channels.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Engineering, Economics, Real Estate, Business Management, Public Administration, MIS/Entrepreneurship, International Business or other degree with MBA, MST or JD.
- Minimum 12 hours in Accounting, Economics, Real Estate or Finance (GPA of 3.0 or higher).
- Strong academic credentials (minimum Overall 2.8+ GPA).
- Relevant work experience preferred (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs).
- Bachelor’s degree and one to three years audit or tax related experience.
- Desire to perform in a high-energy team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership, problem solving, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage ambiguity.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft® Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet navigation and research.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Standard indoor working environment.
- Occasional long periods of sitting or standing while working.
- Position requires regular interaction with employees and clients both in person and via e-mail and telephone.
- Independent travel requirement: 30 to 40%.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran