Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
To plan, direct, coordinate and control all activities of the Central Laboratory and Outreach department to provide the highest standard of professional performance, this position is a full-time dedicated physician. Coordinates clinical activities of lab via interactions with pathologists and managers. Responsible along with Professional Director for compliance with Federal, State and local laws affecting laboratory; laboratory accreditation. Liaison to administration, nursing and other hospital supporting units. Responsible for other hospital labs that are managed as part of Outreach. Responsible for constant advancement and growth of Laboratory Outreach clients, for elevating the Palmetto Health Outreach profile with clinical colleagues, interacting in a liaison role with physicians and staff for referral testing guidance, researching growth needs and new testing platforms, working in close cooperation with laboratory personnel, hospital administration and senior management for the Central Lab Outreach and growth. This job is responsible to the System VP of Operations.
- Manages department human resources by: determining qualifications, competence and performance expectations; implementing and monitoring staffing plans; providing orientation, in-service training and continuing education of all persons in the department and applying policies/procedures pertaining to human resources management.
- Provides effective leadership by coordinating and integrating services within their department, with other departments and with the hospital’s primary functions.
- Manages information by providing information systems and data management for department operations and performance improvement.
- Manages the environment (of care) by developing, implementing and monitoring processes to reduce and control environmental hazards and risks; preventing accidents and injuries and maintaining safe conditions for patients, staff and visitors.
- Continuously assesses and improves the department’s performance by designing operational processes, monitoring performance through data, analyzing the data, implementing sustainable performance improvement, and participating in multi-disciplinary inter-departmental PI activities.
- Implements policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of the services.
- Manages departmental budget including processes to monitor operational and capital costs.
- Interacts with physician offices and hospitals to further the Laboratory Outreach services and growth.
- Works closely with Sales Staff providing guidance and information.
- Attends meetings locally and nationally to further develop the Central Lab and Outreach.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job has direct and/or indirect supervision of employees that may include final budget authority, hire/termination/disciplinary authority, performance appraisal responsibility. Job will be considered a member of the management staff with direct reports.
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) from an accredited school required.
Other Required Experience
Proven leadership capabilities and knowledge of managerial leadership including goal setting, ability to enhance communication and relations in a diverse professional work force. Knowledge of hospital initiatives and processes.
Day (United States of America)
1510 Richland Hospital
15107010 Laboratory Administration
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.