Full Job Description
Founded by Carl R. Pohlad in the 1950s, the Pohlad Companies had its start in the banking and soft-drink bottling industries. Now managed by his three sons Jim, Robert and Bill, with third generation family members actively involved, the organization has four primary business groups. Operating Companies includes ownership and management of firms in diverse industries such as commercial real estate mortgage banking (NorthMarq Capital), automobiles (Carousel Motor Group) and automation (PaR Systems); Real Estate includes commercial real estate development and investment activities, principally through United Properties LLC.; Sports and Entertainment comprises investments in the sports and entertainment industries including the Minnesota Twins Major League Baseball Club; and Investments includes direct and non-control investments in privately held companies and in financial instruments of varying duration and type. The Pohlad family and the Pohlad Companies have a deep commitment to the communities where they live and work, demonstrated through the Pohlad Family Foundation, along with the giving and engagement initiatives of its operating businesses and employees.
We are currently seeking a graduate student to join our newly formed research team as a full-time or part-time Research Analyst Intern for approximately one year to research, compile and analyze information on market conditions of existing Pohlad-owned companies and to identify potential new markets, opportunities, etc. We are offering flexible arrangements to allow your continuation of a graduate degree.
- Researches and compiles data related to current industries, customer demographics and interest, and factors influencing demand, analyzes results to identify ways of maximizing sales and market penetration of current products.
- Compiles data related to competitor products such as pricing, sales, and marketing or distribution methodology.
- Summarizes and analyzes data; makes recommendations related to research findings.
- Reports findings, complete with graphs illustrating data and written text explaining complex findings.
- Delivers reports and presentations of findings to management and/or executive leadership.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work primarily in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be prone to sitting for lengthy periods of time. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to hear objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision. Lifting requirements may be required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
Employee may be required to travel nationally up to 10%.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Superior research and analytical skills
- Able to work independently, demonstrate efficiency and problem solving skills in completing required task,
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software. Familiarity with Bloomberg and S&P Capital IQ is a plus.
- Able to relate to and communicate with senior level executives.
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Economics, or related field
- Progress towards MBA
- Some level of CFA completion is preferred
- Prior related experience preferred.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time