In the Lender Finance Group, we provide capital to investors and operators in the specialty finance space. We can analyze and lend against assets originated or acquired in almost any industry (e.g. consumer or commercial loans) with any underlying credit profile. Our book of clients ranges from family-owned 50- year old brick-and-mortar businesses to credit funds that are buying loans from new, online start-ups sponsored by sophisticated private equity investors. We were one of the early providers of capital to the fintech industry and continue to pursue opportunities in that space. Our bank’s yield goals encourage us to pursue opportunities where other financial institutions are not looking or cannot provide capital, creating a dynamic and creative work environment. Transactions generally range in size from $25MM to $150MM. The majority of our loans are asset-backed; however, we can pursue financings under almost any structural wrapper.
The Investment Officer position inside of LFG will provide an opportunity for an individual to immediately make an impact in the group. For example, compared to investment bank positions, you will actually be encouraged to interface with clients from day one and your input will be greatly valued and necessary for everyone to be successful. LFG currently only has a total of 10 front-end investment team members and the group deployed approximately $1 billion of capital in 2019 (i.e. everyone is needed for critical analysis and independent thought). Travel across the US and internationally will be required (10%-15%). We regularly compete and partner with investment banks, credit funds, venture capitalists, private equity institutions, finance companies, and regional banks.
The goal for the group is to deploy as much safe capital as we can. In that effort, the Investment Officer will be responsible for analyzing, evaluating, structuring, underwriting, and closing potential lending opportunities. The Investment Officer position requires the ability to work independently with limited day-to-day supervision. We are interested in smart, hard- working, and creative candidates – a “perfectly applicable” background/training is not necessary to be successful in the group.
- Evaluate senior and unitranche financing requests to determine credit quality of opportunities and appropriate loan structures
- Identify specific merits, risks, and mitigants for each transaction
- Construct and maintain detailed financial models and develop sensitivity analyses
- Generate internal approval memoranda and term sheets
- Perform market, industry, and sponsor due diligence
- Ensure business terms, concepts, and structure are accurately captured in loan documentation
- Assist in all aspects of origination activity leading to the closing of new transactions
- Bachelor’s degree required
- MBA or Masters preferred
- 2+ years’ experience in investment banking, structured lending, or specialty finance lending
- Meaningful experience with financial modeling (lender/structured finance)
- Knowledge of multiple lending asset classes
- Advanced understanding of accounting and finance including financial statement analysis
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint