Intern with State of Alaska’s Office of Procurement and Property Management
Alaska is seeking an energetic and creative procurement, supply chain, business or similar student who would like to help make a difference for the residents of Alaska.
The Office of Procurement and Property Management’s (OPPM) primary function is establishing statewide contracts that are used by state agencies as well as cities, towns, school districts, and other political subdivisions of state. Additionally, we provide procurement-related training and certification, establish and promote procurement policies, and assist a variety of customers navigate procurement-related issues.
We strive to deliver top-notch customer service and deliver value through innovative and outside-the-box thinking in procurement. As an intern for the State of Alaska’s OPPM Office, you will have the option to enjoy living in beautiful Juneau or Anchorage, Alaska, both locations are minutes away from a variety of outdoor activities, like fishing, kayaking, hiking, and ice climbing. Juneau consistently ranks as the healthiest city in Alaska and recently ranked sixth in the nation for arts and creative vitality. Note: due to COVID and the unknown of how the virus may play a part in 2021, teleworking may be required.
This opportunity is for full-time internship at an hourly rate of up to $21 and includes financial assistance with travel and housing costs. Estimated internship start date is June 1, 2021, ending on August 30, 2021. Start and end dates are negotiable.
Duties and Activities
Under the general supervision and direction of the Chief Procurement Officer and Deputy Chief Procurement Officer, you may perform some or all of the duties listed below:
Procurement Consolidation: Assist OPPM’s change management team with procurement consolidation efforts derived from Administrative Order 304. This order was issued to streamline and increase accountability of procurement activities within the Executive Branch of State government by realigning procurement staff to report directly to the Chief Procurement Officer.
Collaboration with Statewide Contracting Officers: Team up with, assist, and learn from senior statewide contracting officers as they establish and/or administer statewide contracts, assist customers, and review requests for alternate procurements for compliance with relevant procurement law.
1. Compile minutes and share with meeting participants
2. Look at calendars and reserve meeting times for presentations and townhalls
3. Gather data and compile data to a master sheet to organize feedback received from stakeholder
4. Utilizing MS Teams, maintain all documents, notes and other material related to procurement consolidation
5. Review emails related to procurement consolidation and make recommendations as to the urgency of the email for replies
6. Update documents and materials to capture most recent changes or suggestions and edits
7. Coordinate meeting with HR, IRIS, Finance, SSOA, OMB and other partners as needed to maintain and share information
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to identify problems and break down complex concepts and processes into logical components
- Ability to consistently interact professionally at all associate levels
- Ability to communicate professionally with all team members and encourage team cooperation without sacrificing independent thoughts and contributions
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize projects and tasks into personal weekly and monthly plans
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel