New Mexico General Services Department
State Purchasing Division
2021 Internship Program
The State Purchasing Division (SPD) of the New Mexico General Services Department (GSD) is recruiting for an intern with a basic knowledge of procurement functions (we will augment the student’s knowledge through oversight and with live training classes). Specifically we need an intern with the functional ability to create training videos for our Department using video software. The goal is to produce a portfolio of short / focused training clips to train new hires at State Purchasing, all state agencies and local public bodies throughout New Mexico, and/or the vendor community at large. These videos will cover topics such as how to register as a vendor, how to identify sustainable products on statewide price agreements, how to submit/post applicable procurements (emergency procurement, sole sources, etc.) through the portal on SPD’s website, and many related topics covering basic procurement functions.
The selected intern will engage in a virtual experience because our agency’s office is currently operating in a work at home environment and the State of New Mexico will continue to do so until it is safe to return the office (probably through fall 2021). During the process of producing training videos, interns will learn about all aspects of the work done at State Purchasing. We appreciate the fresh eyes of an intern outsider and novice to absorb our procurement process, then apply the energy and enthusiasm of an eager student the winning combination for this internship opportunity.
This is intended as a full time position at an hourly rate of approximately $15.00 to $21.00 (education and experience will determine the actual rate) for up to a 16 week duration (May/June – August/September) at a maximum of 40 hours per week (during business hours, typically 8:00 am through 5:00 pm Monday through Friday). If a qualified intern prefers a part time position we will consider this option. The start/finish date is flexible. The Intern will report to the Director of State Purchasing and possibly others within the Division as delegated throughout the internship.
State Purchasing conducts and manages solicitations resulting in statewide price agreements and contracts for both state agency and local government needs. Your work ultimately helps all New Mexico government operations and impacts the lives of millions of New Mexicans.
Duties and Activities
Under the general supervision and direction of the Director of State Purchasing (and possibly others as delegated throughout the internship), you will create a portfolio of brief training videos for our Department covering various procurement related topics such as:
· how to register as a vendor;
· how to identify sustainable products on statewide price agreements;
· how to post applicable procurements (emergency procurement, sole sources, etc.) through the portal on SPD’s website.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
• Ability to effectively and efficiently understand the procurement process.
• Ability to identify problems and recommend corrective or more efficient processes.
• Ability to interact professionally at all levels within the Department.
• Ability to organize and prioritize projects and/or tasks into weekly and monthly plans.
• Proficiency with Video software (preferably OBS and/or DaVinci 16), MS Office including Word and PowerPoint.
· Ability to draft communications, in a professional manner, such as emails, letters, memoranda for recommendations.