The Chief of Staff (CoS), Business Development will report into the EVP, Chief Business Officer (CBO). The CoS will support and partner with the EVP to ensure the successful delivery of key corporate objectives; via the effective definition of strategy; timely operational implementation and effective interactions and communication with Business Development to influence business strategy.Specifically, the role will require partnership with core functions within Ipsen Group and NA Operations (such as R&D, Business Unit Leads, Value & Access, Finance, HR, Marketing, Sales, Business Operations & Legal); coordination of and preparation for key internal and external meetings; and proactive management of the interfaces (senior company’s leadership and core functions) to enhance execution and delivery for Business Development.
As the organization transforms, it is imperative that business critical decisions are taken confidentially, and in a timely and appropriate manner. It will be the role of the CoS to enable and facilitate business processes and decisions to become best operational practice at Ipsen.Corporate Projects 40%
- Critically assess opportunities and risks to ensure informed decisions
- Adapt in an “agile” way to keep in perspective the big picture and effective implementation of plans and strategies
- Monitor delivery and ensure consistency of Corporate dashboards and KPIs across functions
- Build strong relationships with sponsors and other key stakeholders across the business who support and lead change efforts • Manage overall communication and change management calendar across the business to ensure appropriate timing and delivery of North America transformation efforts •
- Coach, mentor, and lead those responsible for leading changes as appropriate •
- Promote key initiatives and identify communication opportunities while partnering with support functions (HR, communications, etc.) to support these efforts.
- Build comprehensive understanding of all core business functions of Ipsen’s organization and apply that knowledge to effectively manage strategic and tactical initiatives according to our vision
- Influence at all levels of Ipsen Group (R&D, TechOps, Finance, etc.) as appropriate
- Identify in a proactive way all issues within NA Commercial Operations that impact successful execution of business objectives and decide upon timely escalation for resolution
- Resolve conflict to enable effective decisions, through ability to influence others, objectivity, and supporting data/insights
- Develop and implement different negotiation strategies and tactics depending on circumstances to deliver win-win outcomes across functions
- Encourage the empowerment of individuals and teams
Meetings & Communications 20%
- Lead organization of Chief Business Office meetings to ensure effective use of time, promote quality of decision making, focus on critical topics, and follow-up to actions noted
- Directly prepare CBO for upcoming management meetings, internal (e.g. Town Hall, Board of Director, GLT meetings) and/or external discussions and liaise with Ipsen subject matter experts to prepare presentations (e.g., Investor Roadshows)
- Ensure timely delivery of minutes and monitor action plans
- Define key messages to be cascaded across the organization as appropriate
- Liaise with NA and Corporate communications teams for internal and external communications regarding North America organization
Key Projects 20%
- Lead process, track deliverables, highlight risks to timeline execution, and prepare core communications for Leadership.
- Assist and/or lead in special projects, as needed.
Education / Certifications:Bachelor’s degree and post-graduate degree is required; PhD and/or MBA preferredExperience:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry, especially in matrix environments and global environments;
- Experience in growing mid-size pharma environments
- Thorough understanding of business development organization
- Good planning, analytical, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent leading, influencing & communication skills
- Self-motivated and comfortable working alone or as part of a larger team
- Experience working on and leading Global teams; Global/International experience required
Languages:English requiredKey Competencies:
- Strict confidentiality as well as business information (proprietary information, i.e., manufacturing processes and methods, business plans, financial data, budgets and forecasts)
- Influential leadership and results orientation across all levels of Management
- Ability to manage conflict within the team objectively and by being able to influence others to be objective to drive to resolution
- Closely monitoring of execution of plans, measurement of results and correct deviations, if any
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Problem solving, negotiating and decision-making skills; ability to implement decisions quickly
- Capability to build effective partnership and relationship in a matrix organization
- Creates a climate that fosters personal investment and excellence, nurtures commitment to common goals
- Good clarity of judgment and effectiveness at implementation of solutions. Decisively confronts and resolves issues. Shows courage. Works constructively under pressure.
- Ability to think critically about issues and understand context and likely challenges
IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.