The Institute for Medical Research (IMR) is seeking a Financial Officer. The IMR, a non-profit corporation (NPC) established in 1989, conducts and supports research and educational activities in collaboration with the Durham VA Health Care System with funds from private companies, governmental agencies, foundations, and academic institutions. The Non-Profit Program Office (NPPO) provides oversight and guidance for the Veteran’s Affairs (VA) affiliated research and education corporations.
Objective: The Financial Officer will manage, report, and oversee all financial and accounting activities. This position requires a high degree of organization, accuracy, integrity, and attention to detail. The Financial Officer will report to the Executive Director. This is a full-time position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- 3-5 years of financial management, accounting, auditing, internal controls, and financial reporting.
- Experience with the administration of contracts and grants; or research administration preferred.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Proficient in accounting software programs, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to learn and use fund accounting via the utilization of MIP accounting software.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing.
- Excellent planning, prioritizing, and organizational skills.
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
Primary Job Duties:
- All financial accounting functions, including monthly financial statements and billing reports.
- Maintain internal controls within the NPC (Non-Profit Corporation) in accordance with standard publications and documents.
- Prompt reporting of all significant internal control lapses and irregularities to the NPC’s Board and the Non-Profit Program Office (NPPO).
- Assist the Executive Director with NPPO’s audits of the NPC and interfacing directly with the NPPO auditing team.
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Review and approve receivable billing for grants and awards.
- Monthly reconciliation of Investigators’ project accounts to the General Ledger summary account.
- Monthly reporting of project account details and balances to the Principal Investigators.
- Annual evaluation of the NPCs internal controls.
- Annual direct confirmation of the Principal Investigators’ project accounts and follow-up of all discrepancies.
- Plan and conduct the year-end audit by the Board-selected independent auditing firm.
The physical requirements and activities that are required to perform the essential functions of the position include, but may not be limited to, as follows: Must be able to occasionally lift, pull and push a minimum of 25 lbs., must be able to stand for extended periods of time, must be able to sit for extended periods of time, must be able to squat, kneel, and stoop, must be able to regularly use fingers, hands for computer work, and must be able to frequently handle stressful situations.
Salary Range: $66,000 – $78,000 per year and will be commensurate with abilities, education, and experience. IMR offers a competitive benefits package which includes health, dental, vision and insurance. IMR also offers a matching 403b retirement savings plan, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Our Mission: To support research and education throughout the Durham Veterans Affairs Healthcare System to enhance the health and lives of veterans, their families and the public at large.
Supervisory Controls: The position of Financial Officer falls under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, IMR. Although incumbent must use initiative, independence, and some discretion in performing work, the final decision-making authority lies with the Executive Director.
Closing Statement: This position description for the position of Financial Officer is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by Management at any time based on IMR’s business needs.
Employees work for the Institute for Medical Research and will have an appointment at the Durham VA Healthcare System. Employees must undergo a federal background check and may require a drug test prior to hiring.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled persons and Veterans.