About ICRW and ICRW Advisors
The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on improving the status of women and girls for over four decades.
ICRW and its advisory practice, ICRW Advisors, apply an intersectional lens when working with partners and clients to understand, craft and execute impactful strategies, policies and initiatives that advance gender equity and social inclusion. Our focus is on evidence-informed, practical, actionable solutions.
With regional offices in Washington, DC, Delhi India and Nairobi Kenya, corporations, governments, and civil society organizations seek out ICRW to tap into its deep understanding of the evidence base surrounding women’s economic empowerment and livelihoods and ICRW Advisors’ special expertise in: (1) gender integration in supply chains, (2) diversity, equity, and belonging in the workplace; (3) gender-smart investing; and (4) purpose-driven brands.
Overview of Role:
The Project Manager leads the day-to-day execution of client services, in close consultation with senior staff. In addition, the Project Manager contributes to the growth and visibility of Advisors by participating in business development, developing new tools and resources to improve the team’s service offerings and contributing toward externally-recognized thought leadership. Project Managers are required to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of their time (in a post-COVID environment).
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Leads and manages project life cycle including day-to-day activities for small to medium-size projects
- Fosters smooth and productive relationships with clients, and ensures on-time, on-budget, high-quality deliverables.
- Develops and presents project outputs to clients; create pithy and compelling reports and presentations using PowerPoint, Excel, Muralor other software.
- Works closely with the Business Operations and Support Coordinator to manage contracting, project budgets and other logistical items.
- Delegates work effectively and foster teamwork. Contributes to on-the-job feedback / training and coach junior team members. Hire and supervise consultants.
- Contributes to building and maintaining a roster of high-quality consultants.
- In collaboration with senior staff, contributes ideas to the business development strategy, helps conceptualize new projects, write proposals and budgets, cultivate new business opportunities.
- Contributes to building Advisors’ visibility, reputation and client base by presenting and networking at national and international conferences and meetings, publishing articles and blogs, and speaking with the media.
- Contributes to expanding Advisors’ repository tools and resources—strategies, approaches and guides that can be easily customized for use with a variety of clients.
- Works with senior staff to develop and continuously refine communications and marketing materials.
- Supports the development and cultivation of potential clients
Skills and Attributes for Success:
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to use qualitative and quantitative methods to assess client needs and diagnose strengths and gaps in organizational and business approaches
- Ability to communicate information in an insightful and structured manner—orally, in writing, using presentations and graphics / data visualization for a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Creative problem-solver, can recommend and help clients implement innovative solutions for strengthening institutional and business practices regarding gender equity
- Ability to create relationships with clients at mid-to-high management level
- Team player with proven ability to work collaboratively with professionals at different levels, including colleagues, clients and stakeholders
- Skills in creating program logic models, theories of change and monitoring and evaluation procedures preferred
- Strong entrepreneurial skills to identify potential opportunities within existing clients or new clients
- Ability to scope and budget projects accurately, craft proposals and pitch ideas to prospective clients
- Ability to supervise staff and lead small to medium-size teams in providing top quality client services
- Ability to effectively manage and juggle multiple projects, including staffing, work plans, deliverables, timelines and budgets, along with maturity, diplomacy and independence to work effectively with clients
- Ability to supervise and mentor other staff and consultants
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe required.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30%, internationally and domestically
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in French, Spanish or another language preferred
Education and Experience:
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Social Science, International Development or another related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience preferred
- The Project Manager should have experience in client-interfacing roles providing strategic advisory, research and/or technical assistance services to organizations and/or businesses.
- Experience applying gender equity and women’s empowerment frameworks and strategies to corporate social responsibility/sustainability initiatives, and/or to improve business operations across the value chain is preferred.
- Experience providing training and capacity building preferred
- Experience interacting with senior executives / officials in the private and public sector preferred
- Experience living and working in a variety of countries and cultures preferred
- Expertise preferred in one or more of ICRW’s thematic areas advancing inclusive, sustainable economic growth:
- Gender Equity in Supply Chains
- Diversity, Equity, and Belonging in the Workplace
- Gender-Smart Investing
- Purpose-driven Brands
This position will be hired upon receipt of funding