Responsible for analyzing a portfolio of various Categories through the Management of Item Assortment, Pricing, Negotiations (in conjunction with the Category Manager), Promotional Planning and Shelf Presentation by assisting the Category Manager (CM) with the relationship management of vendors. Will utilize the price optimization software to perform scenario planning to arrive at the most effective price, and will analyze category level trends and adjust pricing plans to achieve financial targets. Will work collaboratively with Shelf Merchandising, Banner Merchandising, Pricing and Replenishment. Also responsible for collaborating with Retail Operations, Marketing, Merchandising Governance & Planning (MGP), Our Brands, Retail Business Services (RBS), Supply Chain and Accounting/Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to Category Merchandising & Pricing (CMP) departments that will support achievement of departmental strategies and initiatives.
- Work collaboratively across departments to meet budgeted key performance metrics, which include, but are not limited to:
o Sales, Movement, Margin, Shrink/Reclaim, Market Share, and Net Contribution metrics. These key performance metrics are meant to be comprehensive in nature, but are not limited to the list above due to changing nature of business priorities.
- Responsible for all aspects of analysis for assigned categories that will support achievement of Banner strategy. This will include, but not be limited to:
o Executing best practice promotional planning, feature/display activity, and in-store marketing investments to effectively grow market share while meeting financial targets.
o Recommending appropriate assortment mix changes as each Category moves through review.
o Ensuring the on-shelf Category assortment presentation and item mix reflects the unique needs of each Category while aligning with the Category role.
- Reviewing planograms and test sets to ensure compliance to standards.
- Developing best practice shelf placement principles, planogram production and versioning as well as evaluating the effectiveness of merchandising tactics used.
o Assisting the CM or Assistant Category Manager (ACM) with negotiating the most advantageous programs with vendors and actively seeking out new opportunities to reduce costs while maintaining an optimal item mix.
o Establishing, monitoring, and adjusting base and promotional pricing to deliver financial targets.
o Develop and present different pricing scenarios to the CM or ACM that address:
- Seasonal pricing plans.
- Evaluate vendor offers to determine the optimal cost/retail relationship to deliver optimal profitability.
- Address any banner-wide margin gap exercises.
- Cost change impact to category profitability for lead item selection.
o Review and approve the retail price recommendations of the Markdown team. Calculate the financial impact to the categories and incorporate into the forecast.
o Collaborating with the CM to manage vendor allowances to ensure targets are met.
o Serving as the market resource expert for assigned Categories.
- Responsible for developing products and programs to meet consumer needs:
o Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and training materials.
o Partner with Indirect Sourcing on supply decisions.
o Develop Sales, Margin, Shrink and Labor projections for each new program.
o Maintain and update the order guide. Requirements Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- 3-5 years combined experience in retail, merchandising, category, pricing, logistics, supply chain, procurement, and distribution.
- Knowledge of applicable practice areas, i.e., Fresh or Center Store categories.
o Fresh Categories include, but are not limited to: Produce, Meat/Seafood, HMS/Deli/Bakery.
o Center Store Categories are considered any category not listed in Fresh above.
- Basic professional level of knowledge for company, business and industry practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of Programs.
- Some travel, less than 10%.
- Master of Business Administration Degree (MBA).
- Relationship management experience with vendors, brokers and third party consultants.
- Negotiation experience.
- Experience with the following computer programs: SEGA, DSS, WMS, Relex, Inforem, Revionics, MSP, Syndicated Data (IRI/Nielsen), Market Track (Ad Tracking).
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to manage day to day activity for identified responsibilities.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to think innovatively.
- Demonstrate a personal acceptance of change and the ability to adapt and drive change.
- Demonstrate an ability to implement and analyze retail business using consumer insights and analyzing trends.
- Active listener with an ability to build trust across varying levels of the organization.
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Excellent organizational, planning, influence, communication and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated and persuasive in presenting and selling ideas and executing their implementation.