Enterprise Community Loan Fund, Inc.
Enterprise Community Loan Fund (ECLF) is a Treasury-certified community development financial institution (CDFI) and a member of the Enterprise family of companies. Since its founding in 1982, Enterprise, our controlling entity, has raised and deployed more than $53B in equity, grants and loans to support low-income people and low-income communities including building or preserving nearly 662,000 affordable rental homes. For more information about Enterprise, please visit our website at www.enterprisecommunity.com.
Reporting to the president, the SVP, Strategic Initiatives + Capital Programs is a member of the senior management team. The position requires maintaining working relationships with fellow team members, borrowers, potential clients, consultants, vendors, financial institutions, partners, other public and private sector institutions and peers in the field of community development, as well as the ECLF Board of Directors and committee volunteers.
Through the effective management of the day-to-day operations of Enterprise’s CDFI and oversight of the New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) team of Enterprise’s community development entity (CDE), this position is responsible for:
- implementing the strategy that delivers catalytic capital and other financing solutions/products needed for large scale community revitalization efforts,
- managing other staff and leading internal operations, and
- coordinating across the senior management team to ensure the lending, portfolio management, risk management, finance and administration functions are operating efficiently and effectively to meet articulated goals.
We have one opening that could be located in any of the following Enterprise locations: Baltimore, MD, Columbia, MD, Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY, San Francisco, CA, or Washington, D.C.
Execute Business Plan: Working in partnership with the president, vice presidents and all levels of the organization to execute and update the business (operating) plan to deliver on the goals of the strategic five-year plan, implementing new processes and approaches to deepen and grow core business lines, broaden and expand services and strengthen internal capacity:
- Work with senior team to implement annual department and executive-level work plans to ensure that CDFI and CDE are on track to meet goals articulated in the 2020 Strategic Plan.
- Develop and implement internal benchmarks, internal controls and establish process for staff measurement, reporting, evaluation and development.
- Lead the senior management team in creating an organizational staffing growth and succession plan that provides internal infrastructure and ensures capacity to succeed with programs and goals.
- Lead the performance management process with executive team to ensure all systems and operations are functioning efficiently and effectively to meet growth and performance goals.
Support the President: Assist the president with certain key functions:
- Provide strategic direction to vice presidents and leader of the CDE in balancing internal stakeholders to ensure efficient execution of the Business Plan and capital deployment.
- Elicit and sustain engagement with Enterprise Solutions and Capital Divisions for work specific to CDFI resources and execution, including leading programmatic capital raising and structuring efforts in collaboration with Enterprise’s Solutions and Capital Divisions.
- Lead coordination of materials to be presented at board meetings and the drafting of quarterly board books.
- Communicating with the board, committees and consultants in coordination with the president.
- Communicating the brand and key messages internally and externally.
- Identifying geographic penetration opportunities and priorities.
- Increasing revenue, especially fee-for-service contracts.
- Ensuring that all operational policies and practices are adhered to by all staff; supporting president in developing new ones as needed including ones affecting authority levels.
- Supporting human resources management.
- Representing ECLF and the CDE to partners and stakeholders as needed.
Capital & Fund Raising: Assist the president and SVP – Treasury, including:
- Lead efforts to identify and assess new opportunities to fill financing and/or programmatic gaps in the community development sector in alignment with Enterprise’s strategic direction.
- Advise president on strategy for all grant and other funding applications and serve as the primary point of contact for consultants retained to write the application.
- Ensure effective proposal preparation and grant writing, which may include writing request rationale.
- Monitor budget in partnership with SVP – treasury to determine adjustment to be made to ensure annual budget goals are met and report to president on a monthly basis.
- Development and implementation of systems for reporting, measurement and supporting revenue generation.
Internal Leadership: Serve as the internal leader of the organization, providing high-level leadership as the organization’s second-in-command and ensuring functional operational and solid framework for program expansion:
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; support an open-door policy for all staff members.
- Ensure optimal technology for the organization for maximum functionality and efficiency, including efforts to streamline internal data systems across departments.
- Work with management team to execute a highly effective project management process.
- Ensure that key impact measurements are in place and utilized to make mission delivery improvements.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of ECLF and be driven by Enterprise’s mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change in that blends economic development and community development goals and seeks to engage residents and local leaders in decision-making. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in both leading and building the capabilities of a driven, talented, diverse, growth oriented, mission-focused team. The ideal candidate also must have proven abilities to manage and motivate a team in a non-profit environment.
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Results focused – proven track record of exceeding goals and deadlines with a bottom-line orientation
- Manages Ambiguity – evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment
- Aligns Execution – high level of business acumen, including successful P&L management and the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Action Oriented – enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary even if limited information is available
- Navigates Networks – effectively building formal and informal relationships inside and outside of the organization
- Manages Conflict – not afraid to take charge of a situation; communicates directly and can overcome resistance to change and take unpopular stands when necessary
- Strategic Vision and Agility – ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Leadership – ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing an engaged workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly with high morale
- General Management – thorough understanding of finance, lending, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems; must be highly organized
- Situational Adaptability – ability to manage multiple projects and assignments, meet tight deadlines; coordinate and communicate effectively among widely dispersed parties, and cultivate new relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to represent Enterprise’s mission and work in all internal and external forums
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Solid educational background and five (5) years of progressively responsible management experience including managing teams with senior management experience
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree desired