Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2019 revenues of approximately $9.3 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Corporate Innovation: Strategic Growth Group
Market Development Manager
The Market Development Manager is responsible for developing and leading the execution of projects that identify new opportunities for our material solutions. The Market Development Manager must be able to partner at all levels of multiple Eastman businesses, communicate the strategy, align and motivate cross-functional teams, and remove internal and external barriers to accelerate activation of Eastman’s solutions. In order to accomplish this, the individual will convert insights into opportunities and exhibit bias for action that will maintain a sense of urgency across their team and drive behavior change across the value chain.
The Role: What It Will Be Like
On any given day, you could be doing the following:
- Connecting with customers to understand their needs and motivations to solve problems
- Assessing and mapping markets to determine the viability of new growth opportunities for Eastman
- Learning about how decisions get made when markets need to adopt new materials – and how big a change that might be for the market
- Combining your marketing experience with our strategic marketing tools to make choices and recommendations for new products
- Building value propositions by understanding how value is created throughout complex value chains
- Identifying, developing or launching new products and services that will lead to new revenue for our customers and Eastman
- Developing project plans so that you can begin work to solve customer problems
- Collaborating closely with our scientists so that they can design new materials that our customers can use in their products
- Participating on appropriate business teams to help understand their growth strategy
- Crafting strategic market activation plans because you understand what it takes for markets to adopt new products
- Travelling to learn from customers and other industry contacts, discovering new insights for your next great idea. This will be about 25% of your time.
- Customer obsessed and naturally curious. Ability to inspire others to be equally customer obsessed and curious.
- Communicate with superior verbal and written skills across all levels of Eastman.
- Humility and desire to continually learn.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- History of partnering with teams across an organization and influencing to achieve business results across multiple teams who may have different goals.
- Persuade stakeholders effectively, and execute methodically.
- Ability to synthesize data to develop understandable and actionable recommendations.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary to drive projects to completion.
Required Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- A Marketing or Business Degree
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a marketing, commercial, or business development role
Preferred Skills & Experience You May Also Have (Hint: you don’t need all of them)
- Prior experience working at:
o A specialty materials company
o A company that has converted and combined raw materials into something even more useful
o A management consultancy where you will have developed growth strategies
- MBA or equivalent
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.