$136,302 – $172,665 a year
Full Job Description
Director of Finance
Salary: $136,302 – $172,665 Annually
Full-Time, Benefit Eligible
The City is hiring a Director of Finance!
The Director of Finance is a supervisory and management position that is responsible for the planning, organization, and direction of the City’s financial activities. The position assists in the preparation of the annual City budget and annual financial report for all funds, and prepares special analysis, reports and studies as requested. Included in the work is participation in broad policy matters affecting finance. The Director of Finance is also responsible for the City’s general comprehensive insurance programs and City purchasing. This position is the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of the City.
Click Here to view the comprehensive job profile and hiring timeline!
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 31st @ 11:59pm (CST)
A letter of interest is required as part of the application process.
Please submit a letter of interest and your resume as a single document with your completed application.
Essential Position Functions:
1. Direct, evaluate and oversee the following:
- Financial affairs of the City including planning, development and implementation of sound financial and accounting policies, practices and controls.
- Annual and bi-annual city-wide budgeting process
- Annual capital improvement programs
- Forecasting, estimating, and monitoring the financial condition of the City to assure the fiscal well being of the City
- Managing the investment of City monies
- Managing the City’s debt
- Purchasing activities
- Communication within the organization of any financial changes, new programs, etc.
2. Establishment of annual departmental goals, objectives, and priorities
3. Work closely with HR Manager on risk management activities including worker’s compensation coverage
4. Work closely with City Clerk and Assistant City Administrator on property and liability insurance coverage
5. Supervise Finance Department personnel in a manner that will motivate and develop their full work potential
6. Represent the City in various settings relative to financial matters
7. Work closely with the City Administrator on projects as assigned
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, public administration or closely related field
2. Five years of responsible administrative supervisory experience in accounting, public finance or public administration
3. Experience in a governmental or fund accounting environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of all aspects of public finance administration
2. Ability to gain knowledge of all functions, organizations, staffing and operating procedures of all City operations
3. Ability to effectively supervise, plan, assign, direct and follow-up on work of subordinates
4. Ability to communicate ideas, explanations and recommendations clearly both orally and in writing
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with City employees, elected officials, and public
1. CPA License
2. MBA or other advanced degree in related field
3. Experience with financial software, including but not limited to Oracle
Supervision of Others:
1. Direct supervision of all Department personnel
Work Environments & Requirements:
1. Working Conditions:
- Over 90% of time in office, primarily at desk. Attends some off-site meetings
- At times, activities can be stressful due to deadlines and workloads
2. Physical Demands/Requirements:
- Ability to operate computer, copier, and telephone
- Ability to file and retrieve documents in all drawers of a standard four-drawer file cabinet
3. Work Hours and Schedules:
- Position is FLSA exempt
- Position includes occasional evening meetings (e.g. City Council meetings)
Located in the Twin Cities metro area, Eagan is home to about 68,000 people. The City operates under a Council-Administrator form of government, employing 250 regular full-time employees, and up to 400 seasonal and part-time employees. Regarded as a great place to live, work and play, the City of Eagan prides itself on exceptional customer service and employs a stable workforce with experienced and professional staff. Areas of employment include finance, engineering, law enforcement, fire safety, parks and recreation, forestry, public works and utilities, community development, sports and fitness, arts and preschool education, etc. Visit our website to learn more at www.cityofeagan.com!
The City of Eagan is an Equal Opportunity Employer