Full Job Description
Casa Grande, Arizona
Risk, Quality and Safety
Banner Health believes leadership matters, and we look for people who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our leaders are at the front of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
Established in 1984, Banner Casa Grande Medical Center is a full-service, non-profit, hospital committed to providing quality health care to the Casa Grande Valley as well as the surrounding areas in a caring and compassionate environment. This facility has 177 beds focused with a patient-centered, family-oriented core staff caring for a variety of medical, surgical and cardiac patients. Our Banner Casa Grande Medical Center is also proud to serve as a base station, providing medical direction to more than 12 emergency medical service providers in Pinal Country.
As the Infection Prevention Program Director, you will be responsible for managing and supervising all activities related to the prevention, control, documentation and reporting of nosocomial acquired infections and communicable diseases at Banner Del Webb Medical Center. These responsibilities include setting standards and evaluating compliance for practices that are associated with the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections. This will include (but are not limited to) surveillance, analysis, and reporting. A crucial aspect will be designing, leading and maintaining a hospital -based infection prevention and control program. Banner Healthcare’s goal is to provide a safe environment through the prevention of infection in patients, families, employees, and visitors.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you’ll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
This position, under the direction of the infection prevention committee, is responsible for the effective direction, management and operation of the infection prevention and control/epidemiology department, including education of hospital personnel and consultation with the organization, CDC, and the county and state health departments. The responsibilities encompass compliance with Joint Commission (JC) standards, CMS, OSHA, and state regulations, outbreak investigation, and overall direction of the infection prevention and control program. The position works closely with both system and operating entities leaders and medical staff to improve quality and outcomes of clinical care related to infection prevention. All work processed by the incumbent is considered confidential and protected from discovery, pursuant to state statutes.
1. Ensures that all services provided meet with the facility’s needs and expectations. Manages the department in a cost-effect manner by accurately forecasting budgetary and staffing needs, and manages expenses within budgetary constraints. Devises action plans to correct negative variances. May maintain a competent and motivated staff through proper selection, training, evaluating and termination, as necessary.
2. Establishes, implements and administers departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures; conducts ongoing review of hospital policies, procedures and guidelines to identify infection prevention and control discrepancies and implements revisions as necessary. Provides ongoing assessment of performance, analyzes infection outcome data, and identifies performance improvement opportunities or trends. Conducts high level assessments, gathers information and collaborates with the appropriate process owner(s) to identify opportunities for improvement. Analyzes data for administrative and clinical decision making.
3. Develops and coordinates the infection prevention and control program throughout the facility. Implements the program by formulating, establishing and evaluating policies and procedures relating to patient care infection prevention and control measures throughout the facility that ensure compliance with JC, OSHA, CDC, CMS and other county, state, and federal regulatory agencies.
4. Serves as a resource and subject matter expert to staff, leaders, medical staff, patients and the community for infection prevention and control. Initiates epidemiological investigations of significant clusters of infections and single cases of unusual infection. Serves as a subject matter expert for the facility and system related to emerging infections, public health crisis and emergency management.
5. Directs and assists in preparing reports and statistical data for the infection prevention committee, medical staff committees, medical executive committee and the facility’s administration and other committees as needed.
6. Responsibility for infection prevention at large healthcare entities (>100 beds) and contribution to system-level infection prevention activities. Internal customers include all assigned entity administrators, physicians, staff and corporate administrators, leadership team and staff. External customers include accreditation and regulatory organizations, payers, patients and physicians.
Requires Masters in Public Health (MPH), Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or master’s degree in other healthcare related field or Bachelors degree in healthcare related field and experience equivalent to masters degree.
Requires certification in Infection Control (CIC).
Must have a proficiency level typically attained with five years experience in infection prevention or diseases surveillance experience in a public health setting.
Must possess demonstrated flexibility in responding to the needs of multiple constituencies with a service-oriented philosophy.
Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate multi- disciplinary teams.
Must possess demonstrated skill in problem analysis, project management, conflict resolution and oral and written presentations.
Requires ability to balance and manage multiple projects.
Computer skills, research and basic statistical knowledge is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.