Who We Are:
Atento is more than just our name. It is who we are. Atento is the Spanish word for Helpful, and that is what we strive to be every day, living by the philosophy of “doing well by doing good.” We are a small team of Atentans that are incredibly passionate about what we do in our local Tulsa community. Tulsa is a hidden gem in the heartland and a growing destination for entrepreneurs, top talent, and the tech community. Tulsa’s thriving communities, culture, and entrepreneurial spirit have built a city that embraces inclusion and champions big ideas. As a Venture Capital organization, we are inspired by the trajectory of the city. Our Investments, Growth and Expansion, and Economic Development teams work closely together to drive growth and returns. We invest in funds, nonlocal and local directs, and economic development programming, all with a strong lens towards diversity and impact in Tulsa. We seek to maximize our impact on others while simultaneously creating tremendous value for our investment partners, founders, and community. We are committed to initiatives, interactions, and opportunities that are at the heart of our collective mission of cultivating a more vibrant and inclusive Tulsa. Using our community connections, deep commitment to entrepreneurship, and vision to scale technology in Tulsa, we invest in hard working entrepreneurs and help them build their companies here in Tulsa. If you are excited about applying the highest level of rigor to a variety of facets of business, including project management, execution, organization, and personnel management, to drive unprecedented job growth and economic development in our Tulsa community, we want to meet you!
Who You Are:
You are a driven, hard-working Atentan ready to thrive in a fast-paced environment. As Director of Special Projects, you are the glue that holds together all of Atento’s teams. You are an experienced, results-driven, and empathetic team leader. Yep, that’s right, you’ll be taking point on the execution of many of Atento’s game-changing new projects. You are amazing at managing complex, high-stakes projects, and you can alternate between being in the weeds on a project and thinking big-picture at the drop of a hat. Your work quality is always excellent, and you are hungry for a challenging and rewarding experience in both project and personnel management. Atento is a nimble organization that responds to the needs of our city and our partners – be ready to jump in and make waves!
As a part of the Atentanagement team (Atento Management team- we love our Atento vocabulary, aka our Atentocabulary), you will drive results through intentional leadership, transparent communication, and professional development. You will act as an ambassador of Atento in the venture world with energy, enthusiasm, and humor, and a right-hand wonder-person to a dynamic, high-energy Managing Partner. You will be the first line of defense as internal challenges arise – no matter how big or how small, and no matter when or where they pop up. We are a lean team and we take pride in our “all hands on deck” approach.
You have deeply reflected on the systems of inequality in our country, and you are fired up about the opportunity to affect change in the city of Tulsa through venture capital. You will champion a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion internally through your own self reflection and leadership. You seek to be a member of a motivated, kind, and energetic organization that is striving to create jobs and opportunities for the community, and you will do whatever it takes to support them!
The Nuts and Bolts:
What you’ll be doing- Personnel management:
- Serving as liaison between the team managers and Atento’s energetic Managing Partner regarding projects, organizational strategy, proposals, organizational climate, and employee well-being.
- Providing highly effective and personalized professional development for the management team, including training on relevant competencies, plans for individual development, and data-driven coaching.
- Responding to challenges and personnel needs as they arise, which may occur outside of traditional business hours.
What you’ll be doing- Project management and portfolio company support:
- Providing consulting and advisory services to portfolio companies at different stages of growth; project-managing the diligence process for high-profile projects and deals.
- Communicating with internal and external stakeholders with clarity and alignment to the Atento mission and the Managing Partner; representing Atento to external stakeholders, including funders, co-investors, prospective clients, existing clients, community leaders, public servants, and the media.
- Managing complex strategic initiatives from ideation through execution under the guidance of the Managing Partner and with input and insights from both internal and external stakeholders
- Monitoring, analyzing and improving upon current strategies within and between internal departments. Creating clear metrics for success and course-correct as needed.
Our Ideal Atentan:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience required
- MBA or MPA preferred
- 5+ years of working experience
- 3+ years of managing teams, preferably in a start-up environment and/or mission-driven organization
- Experienced in investment or eager to gain hands-on experience in the VC world
- Proven to be successful in complex project management
- An expert in business acumen, either from direct experience in the private sector (operating, consulting, or finance) or completion of an MBA; able to interpret and analyze financial models
- Experienced working in a small, nimble, growth-oriented team/organization and leading through ambiguity
- An exemplar of professional behaviors, including clear written and verbal communication, the ability to manage conflict with grace, enthusiasm for feedback, and excellent judgement
- Highly emotionally intelligent, positive, insightful when it comes to team dynamics, and intentionally introspective
- Rich with growth potential and a willingness to learn and grow
- Extremely organized and great at time management
- Able to juggle multiple projects and tasks with efficiency and a great attitude
Grow with Atento. Our Promise to You:
- Unprecedented access to the startup, venture capital and growth-stage world of Tulsa, the next great American startup hub
- You will learn from and be mentored by both successful leaders, entrepreneurs and investors
- We will teach you the venture world, including fund and direct investments,
- We’re flexible, and we want you to be flexible, in both schedule and work style.
- You will be exposed to economic development and philanthropic work alongside one of the largest philanthropic organizations in the world
- You will make a difference by helping diverse talent achieve upward mobility, linking talent with companies they may not otherwise be able to access
- And, of course, we offer highly competitive compensation and benefits
This role is based in Tulsa, OK.