Full Job Description
Position: Staff Accountant
Department: Accounting and Revenue Audit
Reports to: Director of Finance
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time Salary
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, with a minimum of three years progressively responsible accounting and/or finance management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA or MBA preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general ledger account reconciliation and capital budgeting, with knowledge of applicable federal, state and local reporting requirements and laws and regulations relating to applicable financial operations, and a thorough understanding of generally-accepted accounting principles
- Ability to interpret and understand gaming regulatory requirements, with gaming experience preferred. Experience with payroll information management and support systems preferred with knowledge of and experience with Great Plains software a plus.
- Experience with and knowledge of applicable federal, state and local reporting requirements
- Proven leadership skills and strong customer service orientation
- Robust computer skills to include effective working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products with advanced Excel skills to analyze and manipulate data, customize the work area, use advanced functions, work with pivot tables, manage macro commands and use personalized toolbars
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Gaming Commission license, and pass a background check and drug-screening test
Essential Job Functions
- Portray a positive attitude under all circumstances, understand and represent the core values of Apache Casino Hotel and live the mission of providing exceptional service at all times.
- Work effectively with peers, team members and regulatory agency personnel.
- Ensure financial activities comply with all laws, rules, regulations and controls applicable to Apache Casino Hotel operations including, but not limited to, NIGC, MICS, State Compact, Tribal Gaming Commission, etc.
- Support the Director of Finance in carrying out department responsibilities.
- Maintain the fixed asset and associated depreciation schedules on software system; provide monthly detail to the Director for journal entries; ensure proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
- Prepare reports related to casino business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and expected operations.
- Assist with budget preparation and monitoring budget plans in order to meet the property’s goals.
- Assist with preparation of forecasts and participate in business planning sessions and financial reviews.
- Responsible for the coordination of monthly balance sheet account reconciliation process.
- Prepare documentation and coordinate various audits; prepare reports required by regulatory agencies.
Prepare accounting-related entries to numerous registers, journals and logs.
Support accounts payable activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness of invoice creation and entry
Perform monthly bank settlements.
Backup for Payroll in processing payroll, payment of payroll taxes, garnishments, as well as general payroll questions.
Follow Apache Casino Hotel’s established accounting processes.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by reporting senior.
Adhere to and act in accordance with all casino policies and procedures, and applicable federal, state and local regulations
Maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance (specific standards may apply departmentally based on uniform requirements). Where uniforms are required, they must be clean and pressed at the beginning of each shift
- Understand and comply with the Eye, Hi, Goodbye program
- Competency to follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy in documentation, carefully monitoring processes and routine work details
- Ability to clearly present information verbally and in writing; read and interpret complex information; actively listen and talk with guests and team members
Ability to maintain a calm demeanor during stressful situations
Demonstrate a high level of service delivery to ensure guest and team member satisfaction; handle service failures and prioritize guest and team member needs
- Prepare for known problems and opportunities in advance; willingness to undertake additional responsibilities and respond to situations as they arise
- Maintain high standards despite pressing deadlines; reinforce excellence as a fundamental priority
- Capable of using tact, maintaining confidences, and fostering an ethical work environment; giving proper credit to others, and handling situations honestly
- Ability to adapt behavior to others’ styles, interact with people who have different values, culture, or backgrounds, be of service to difficult people, optimize the benefits of having a diverse workforce, developing rapport with others and recognizing their concerns and feelings to build and maintain long-term associations based on trust
- Share due credit with team members; display team spirit, enthusiasm and promote a friendly group working environment; work closely with other departments as necessary; support group decisions and solicit opinions from fellow team members
- Ability to operate various types of equipment used in your department, for example personal computers, printers, copy machines, facsimile machines, and telephone
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential job functions.
While performing job duties the team member may be regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The team member may occasionally be required to stand, walk, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member may occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing job duties the team member is regularly exposed to risks associated with travel between buildings and back and forth to other areas as may be required due to business demands. The team member is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, including second-hand environmental smoke. The noise level in the work environment varies from light to moderate, and there are fluctuations in lighting due to flashing lights from slot machines and band lighting.
Apache Casino Hotel