Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com .
Amherst is a real estate private equity firm with multiple equities and debt strategies. Holistically, Amherst currently has an AUM of $5.8bn across our debt and equity strategies. Amherst Holdings real estate private equity business was established in 2012 after multiple decades in the residential mortgage securities investment banking business. Amherst’s private equity business has grown from 34 employees in 2012 to roughly 1,000 today. Amherst continues to grow rapidly to capitalize on increasing industry opportunities.
Real Estate Private Equity:
Our Single Family Residential Equity strategy (Amherst Residential) has quickly scaled over the last 5 years to own and operate 20,000+ homes in 30 markets across 21 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform. Across the SFR strategy, Amherst has raised almost $2.5bn inequity and arranged approximately $5.7bn in debt financing over the last five years and is currently investing more than $150mm a month in single-family real estate assets.
Real Estate Private Credit:
The four-year-old Commercial Real Estate Lending strategy combines a veteran debt team with unique pricing analytics to the source, underwrite, structure and asset manage loans backing all types of CRE assets across the US.
Within the Capital Management division, Debt Capital Markets manages the financing process on behalf of Amherst’s own $2bn+ balance sheet and across its ventures and funds. Core products include secured warehouse financing, senior and mezzanine term financing, public and private securitizations, and seller financing. The team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to play a key role in structuring and negotiating the execution and syndication of debt financing in both the private and public markets.
- Lead deal execution including risk evaluation and transaction negotiations to optimize pricing and structuring of financing
- Develop models to analyze investment returns and flexibility to determine appropriate financing terms and covenants
- Prepare presentation and marketing materials including requests for proposals, lender diligence, model outputs and structuring objectives for prospective lenders, senior leadership and Amherst’s Board of Directors
- Facilitate structured finance transactions, including valuation, accounting, third party engagements and other transaction issues
- Anticipate senior banker needs ahead of planned investor meetings, and prepare materials accordingly
- Coordinate work product with legal, tax, accounting, regulatory parties
- Finalize client presentations and interface with investment partners and potential lenders
- Assist with rating agency interactions, ensure compliance with and reporting on debt covenants on outstanding securitizations and private debt financing
- Liaise with Investor Services & FP&A to facilitate reporting processes, proper controls, and cash flow forecasting
- Collaborate with the team to generate new ideas and further initiatives
- College degree required; MBA and/or CFA nice to have
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with Master’s or four (4) years of experience with Bachelor’s in Structured Finance or Debt Capital Markets at an investment bank or credit hedge fund.
- Interested candidates need demonstrated abilities to:
- Partner with deal teams and run complex financial modeling (solid Excel skills)
- Apply a deep understanding of deal structuring and real estate financing
- Interpret and present analysis thoughtfully
- Deliver high quality work product in a timely fashion with attention to detail
- Collaborate well with others and develop strong relationships
- Deal with ambiguity and comfortably navigate through complex tasks with little guidance
- Think commercially, strategically, and creatively
- Prioritize and manage multiple deadlines to deliver a quality product until tight time constraints
- Solution-oriented when presenting problems
- Seek out, understand, and follow developing industry trends
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office event
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.